Tuesday, June 3, 2014

An Undefeated Season!

Hunter played soccer again this Spring and had an amazing team. They were undefeated all season! He had the same coach from last year (Coach Tirado) and he is terrific. He is patient and really knows the game well. He does a good job of motivating the boys while staying calm. Hunter had a good experience. I signed him up because I understood he wanted to play. Then I found out he wasn't happy that I had done so because he wasn't wanting to pay half of the fee which was $10.00. (That was the deal if the boys wanted to play.) He knows the value of money because he had to earn that by pulling weeds for 8 hours! I couldn't get our money back because the season had already started. His team needed him as there were only 2 extra players on the team. None-the-less, he struggled to make the decision of whether he wanted to continue playing. He doesn't enjoy running a great deal and the coach did quite a bit of conditioning. I told him I could pay him back, because of the misunderstanding, but he needed to decide and let his coach know if he wasn't coming back. He sat for a long time wrestling back and forth and even got a little emotional. At this point, I felt it would be important for future choices to learn how to weigh the pros and cons and work through making a difficult decision. I taught him how to make a pros and cons list and he spent a few minutes thinking through the consequences of his decision. In the end, he decided to play. I wasn't surprised when I looked at the list and see that the number one pro was that his team mates were counting on him. He is always wanting to help and serve others. I took him to practice and he had a great time. When he got back in the car he had a big smile on his face and he told me that he was really glad he decided to play. Connor and Teagan played soccer as well and did a great job. Connor had several opportunities to practice with Hunter's team and play some scrimmages, which made his chest puff out. The coach told me that Connor is a great player and can really run fast. He loves to run and loves soccer. I hope we can get him on a year round team eventually. Teagan really enjoyed it as well. This was only his second season, and he is still working on getting control of the ball amidst the mass of feet! It was really fun to go and watch the boys play each weekend. We hope to play soccer at the park with friends through the summer to keep up their skills.

No comments: